13 July 2012

Going to the Chapel

Tomorrow this little girl is getting married.


That is not the most recent picture of her, obviously.  My sister is now in her early 30s, and she's always been my older, cooler sibling.  The one you looked up to, wanted to be like, and just generally loved because you were there together growing up and exploring the world.  But as her big day gets closer, my mind keeps wandering back to when we were kids running around in the woods or going to the park or sprawling out on the shag carpeting (good choice, Mom and Dad) in the living room to read books all afternoon.  I suppose it's natural when you hit major life events to pause a moment and think about how you got here.  Most days feel pretty much like their respective yesterdays, but the truth is all those imperceptible changes add up eventually.

Tomorrow this woman is getting married.


Dad passed away a few years ago, so Mom and I will walk her down the aisle.  At the altar I will take her hand and place it in her fiancee's, which is a good reminder that deep down we all remember women are the property of men, and should be transferred as such through symbolic gestures like this one.  I tease.  The fact is her soon-to-be husband seems to be a very good man and his love will enhance her life's potential rather than limit it.  And now that he's family, if he ever hurts her I will not have any problems going Godfather on his ass.  So everyone wins.  It's apparent whenever you seem them together that this is a pairing that fits.  They smile wider, relax a little more, and look happier when they're in the same room.  If that's not a good sign I don't know what is.

Tomorrow my sister is getting married.


Sorry, just wanted to get one more funny photo in there.  Sis always took Easter very seriously, I guess.  Anyway, tomorrow is going to be a big day.  Wherever you are please raise your glass and wish the newlyweds lots of love, health, and money - and time to enjoy them all!  I love you Sis and new Bro.  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment